Students have broken into four literature groups (we had five choices, but no one chose to read the Tornado fiction book). The groups are reading a fiction book that portrays children in a heroic light and a non-fiction text as a companion. We read the non-fiction text first to build our background knowledge so we have some great schema in place as we read the realistic fiction the rest of the month.
Here is what the literature groups are reading:
Here are some of the murals:
|During an Earthquake|
|During a Hurricane|
- Cognitive Content Dictionary: Preparation, Safety, Precipitation, Humanitarian Aide, Impact, Evacuation, Tectonic Plates, ...
- Poems and Songs about Natural Disasters
- Learning about Mt. St. Helens (local landform & disaster)
- Earthquake & Fire Drills
- Water Cycle
- Safety Preparation
- Creating Mental Images
- Character Traits that will help them be heroic
- Making Inference, Predictions, and Observations
- Rebuilding Community